Updates
Loading...

Do I Need To Backup My Computer / Laptop

11:21 PM
Do I Need To Back My Computer/Laptop
Why is Computer Backup Important?

If you've ever been in a situation in which you've almost completed an important project, only to have your computer spontaneously crash seconds before hitting the "save" button, you understand how frustrating losing your data can be.

Now, imagine losing all your important files - everything from business files, to family photos, to your tax returns - permanently. Although many of us prefer to adhere to the mantra of "it'll never happen to me", the truth is, it could. And as computers continue to become the principle way in which many people conduct important transactions, this type of thinking is becoming increasingly risky.

What's worse, the modern computer is ever more vulnerable to the imminent threats multiplying on the Internet - everything from adware, to spyware, to viruses. In fact, in 2003 alone, the number of computer viruses increased by 11%.

Do I Need to Backup All of my Computer Data?
The short answer to this question is no, you do not need to back up all of the files on your computer. However, there are certain files you should definitely backup, so that in the event your computer decides it's time is up, you won't be at a total loss.

So just what files should you be backing up? Although the choice is ultimately a personal one, here are some suggestions:

Information and files relating to banking or other financial transactions
  • Digital photos
  • Purchased/downloaded music from the Internet
  • Purchased/downloaded software from the Internet
  • Important work/school projects
  • Email contact list
  • Internet browser bookmarks
Where is the Safest Place to Store My Important Computer Data?
Depending on what backup software you use, some will limit the locations from which your data will be stored. For example, they may only backup data found in the following locations on your PC.


\My Documents and sub-directories on any drive, except for My Videos, My Pictures, and My Music
C:\Documents and settings and sub-directories
C:\Windows\favorites
C:\Windows\profiles
Outlook Personal Folders (pst files)
For this reason, it is generally recommended that you store your most important files in your "My Documents" folder. It is easier to back-up.

Source: spamlaws

Please share your views.

Need help? feel free to ask. Thank You.
Related Search: how much space do i need to backup my computer my pc back up back to my mac pc what are the ports on the back of my pc how to roll back my pc

1 comments:

  1. I wish I read this before I lost my laptop for school. I thought the only reason why I would need to back it up is incase my laptop failed but since it was new, who cared. After the first week of having it, someone stole it and it was right before my midterm paper which was in the laptop.

    Learn from my bad naive experience, use itellmore's great advice and back up your files asap.

    ReplyDelete

Please do not spam. Nigerian Bloggers, lets encourage ourselves...

 
Toggle Footer